Episode 18: The Special Weapon Meta, and How to Play Within and Against It
This week we talk about trends in trials before focusing in on the special weapon meta, how to play with it, and how to fight against it!
Basically, a TL;DL for those of you who'd like a text base to focus on:
- Shotguns are king right now. You have two options, beat 'em, or join 'em.
- Cougar takes the side of joining them, and discusses quite a few various things you need to focus on if you want to start using shotguns effectively. These include:
- Using grenades to soften targets before pushing
- Being aware of people attempting to bait you into a bad situation
- Moving from cover to cover, as opposed to running directly at targets
- Not being indecisive. Hesitating will get you killed.
- Using calculated aggression. Patience is different than hesitation, and in this game can be vitally important. Constantly pushing without any thought is a technique that will lead to developing bad habits, and can get you killed.
- Communicating with teammates both to let them know where and when you're going to push, and so that they can help you gain a more complete sense of map awareness.
- Understanding where enemies are, and why they're there. If someone is defending a position, do they have the advantage? How many of them are there? A lot of this ties back into communicating with teammates.
- Making your movements quick, decisive, and unpredictable. Learn how to feint, and utilize avenues of approach other than simply moving towards someone on the ground. Shadestep, Titan Skating, Twilight Garrison, and other forms of movement should all be taken advantage of.
- There are quite a few other things, but you get the gist of it.
- Next I move on to combating the shotgun meta, trying to explain what you can do if you don't want to play their game.
- Choose weapons that are effective against aggressive shotgun play. Fusion rifles, sidearms to a lesser extent, high-RoF ARs and PRs like Soulstealer's Claw and Clever Dragon at longer distances.
- Stay away from areas that favor shotguns! It's not always possible with the current crop of maps, but avoid an area that would put you at a disadvantage to be in combat in.
- Be smarter than a shotgun player. Use the things that hurt them, like baiting, back peddling, and uncommon positioning to make yourself a more difficult target.
- Communicate with your team. Call out where you think a shotgunner may be, and make a coordinated push as opposed to entering combat solo and at a disadvantage.
- If you're sniping, make sure you're using a sniper appropriately. Cover lanes and prevent pushes, as opposed to aggressively moving forward.
- Remember that shotgun users are people too, and they can fall prey to the same mistakes that everyone else makes. Capitalize on them, don't let yourself get flustered. Land your shots, and you can win a lot of engagements. It sounds simple but stopping yourself from panicking when being charged is actually one of the more difficult things to do.
- Last but certainly not least, spend some time playing with a shotgun. Learn what is most effective against you, and then see if you can adopt those things into your playstyle.
This obviously isn't everything we talk about, but I think it's a solid summary. Really hope you guys enjoyed it, and maybe even learned a thing or two!